THE WORSHIP ISSUE
God’s Word is explicit in teaching that YHWH alone is to be “worshipped” (Ex. 34:14; Ps. 81:9; 97:7; Matt. 4:10/Luke 4:8; Rev. 19:10). We are given examples in God’s Word of people who were rebuked, chastised, or judged for worshipping the creation (Zeph. 1:5; Acts 7:42; Romans 1:25), “gods” (Joshua 24; 2 Kings 17; 1 Cor. 8:5), idols (Lev. 19:4; 26:1; 1 Chr. 16:26; 2 Chron. 34:7; 1 Cor. 10:14; 1 Jn. 5:21), images (Ex. 20:4; Isa. 42:8, 17; 44:15; Jer. 8:19; Rom. 1:23; Rev. 16:2; 19:20), “relics” (2 Kings 18:4), material things (Matt. 16:26; Luke 12:20; Acts 17:29; Col. 3:5), “saints” (Matt. 17:4; Acts 10:25-26), and even angels (Col. 2:18; Rev. 19:10).
God says, “I am YHWH: that is My Name: and My glory I will not give to another … For My own sake, even for My own sake, will I do it: for how should My Name be polluted? and I will not give My glory to another.” – Isaiah 42:8 and 48:11.
With the above in mind, now read the following passages of Scripture concerning none other than Jesus Christ :
1. ” … (the wise men) saw the young child (newborn Jesus) with Mary His mother, and fell down, and worshipped Him (JESUS- not His mother!) … ” MATTHEW 2:11
2. “And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped Him …” MATTHEW 8:2
3. “Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped Him, saying, ‘It is true You are the Son of God.'” MATTHEW 14:33
4. “And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, ‘All hail.’ And they came and held Him by the feet, and worshipped Him.” MATTHEW 28:9
5. “And when they saw Him (JESUS), they worshipped Him; but some doubted.” MATTHEW 28:17
6. “But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped Him.” MARK 5:6
7. “And it came to pass, while He blessed them, He was parted from them, and carried up into heaven, and they worshipped Him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy …” LUKE 24:52
8. “And he (a ‘sinner’) said, ‘Lord, I believe,’ and he worshipped Him.” JOHN 9:38
9. “And again, when (The Father) brings in the First-begotten into the world, He says, ‘And let all the angels of God worship Him (JESUS- Psalm 148:2).'” HEBREWS 1:6
10. “And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; Saying with a loud voice, ‘Worthy is the Lamb (JESUS) that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing, And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard, I saying, ‘Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sits on the throne, and unto the Lamb (JESUS) forever and ever. And the four beasts said, ‘Amen.’ And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped Him that lives forever and ever.” REVELATION 5:12-14
There is no way around this fact of Scripture : Jesus Christ is worshipped. God says that He will not share His glory with “another.” Yet those who deny Christ’s Deity must insist that He do just this, because if Jesus is worshipped but is not God Himself, then God has given His glory to “another.” Next time you speak with one who denies that Jesus is God show them the above words penned by Isaiah the prophet. As he/she reads the passage say : “You’ve got a serious problem there, friend!”
Reader, this is the crux of all debates concerning the Deity of Christ : He is worshipped, and that with His Own approval and the approval of the Father. He is often worshipped by Jews in the above passages – Jews who would never deny their monotheistic faith! How much clearer can it get? If this fact alone were all the proof I had for Christ’s Deity, I would be on solid ground.
Thanks to William Kilgore:
Filed under: Doctrinal nuggets! | 2 Comments »